Wednesday, September 3, 2014

You Can Learn Anything!

‪#‎YouCanLearnAnythingmovement‬ 

I just read this article from Khan Academy this morning titled, The Learning Myth: Why I'll Never Tell My Son He's Smart. In my own experiences, the label "smart" can be misleading. I found that I always excelled at certain areas, but had difficulty in others (i.e. Math), so I thought maybe I wasn't as smart as everyone always said I was. I am not a genius by any means (so overlook any errors you may find in this post), but I now realize that everyone was right all along . Since, I started homeschooling, I am always careful of using labels. Now, they love to hear everyone else call them smart, but as mommy and teacher, it's a little different. Instead, I want them to know that they are not defined by any label. I want to be their cheerleader, the one who will not allow them do anything beneath their potential, but also the one who lets them know that it is okay to not be perfect. What makes you intelligent is being able to tackle any challenge that lies ahead of you, knowing that you can do ANYTHING that you put your mind and put in great effort to learn.

 Also, having multiple children, it is not good to label one child as smart, because each child will measure themselves by that standard. If one child is not as gifted in one area as their sibling, then they may feel that they are "not as smart". I notice the unique gifts, talents, and abilities of each of my children and it is evident that they each have something special to offer society. I secretly give them assignments that are grade levels ahead of where they "should be", and what I have discovered is that the challenge often leads to frustration, that leads to determination, that finally leads to mastering the skill. My kids love to see that big "A" on the top of a paper, but a "C" on a paper, does not lower their self-confidence, but instead makes them more determined to conquer the next assignment to get that "A". I believe that there are truly no limits when you are a tenacious learner 

This is an awesome article. Click below to read!
https://www.khanacademy.org/about/blog/post/95208400815/the-learning-myth-why-ill-never-tell-my-son-hes

No comments:

Post a Comment